Le 16/11/2010 15:18, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> Jirka Hladky, le Tue 16 Nov 2010 21:37:01 +0100, a écrit :
>
>> There was some discussion about hwloc-distrib --among
>>
>> If I understand it correctly, --among accepts one of
>> {pu,core,socket,node,machine}
>>
> I actually didn't know about the --among option. It seems a bit
> difficult to comprehend without reading the source code...  Actually I'm
> not even sure about the cases where it is useful.

I don't remember the exact use case but it was basically a machine where
the topology strange or broken and the user wanted to force the
distribution among some given object type (the distribution of objects
of other types was unusable).

> Same here, distributing 4 elements between the PUs, thus selecting the
> first 4 PUs.
>
> I'd say that --among should indeed be the horizontal portion of the
> machine to distribute on, and the existing --among option should be
> renamed into --from, and a --to option could be added to stop the
> hierarchical distribution to a given object type.

Works for me but won't have time to look at it before the end of the
week. I don't think --among was available in 1.0, so maybe we can rename
it in 1.1 and we'll add other options in 1.2 ?

Brice