I implemented most of this in the component branch. The changes in the
core look heavy but it's not too bad in the end.

Now, each old backend registers a "component" that can be instantiated
into a "backend" structure depending on the topology configuration. By
default, you get your OS backend and the PCI backend. But you could also
get a XML backend instead for instance. Each backend may contain a
discover() callback (doing the main discovery, e.g. initial discovery
through the OS) and a notify_new_object() callback to react when
somebody else discovers something (currently only used by Linux to add
OS devices when the PCI backend adds PCI devices).

The list of components to create is defined by configure, depending on
the OS, available libraries, and on plugin configuration.

There are two types of plugins. "core" (for the above
"components/backends") and "xml" (for libxml2 and nolibxml
implementations behind the XML backend). At configure time, we can ask
to build some components as plugins. Only "core-libpci" and "xml-libxml"
for now (others do not depend on any external lib). Those components
will be installed in $(libdir)/hwloc and loaded in topology_init().

Plugin are entirely disabled by default (even the core support is
disabled) so it shouldn't break much. Testing with and without plugins
didn't show any problem so far.

Things to improve:
1) We load plugins and list existing components once per topology. We
should do it only once per process. But that requires some locking in
case multiple topologies are loaded simultaneously, which means we need
thread-safety. Do we want pthread_mutex() for this?
2) Some internal functions are now exported to plugins. Do we want a
special namespace? "hwloc__" instead of "hwloc_"? Is there anyway to
make them visibile to plugins but not to applications?
3) I currently use the system libltdl. People usually ask libtool to
copy it's libtldl implementation inside the project source at autogen to
make sure it's compatible/working. So we won't have libltdl in SVN,
we'll have it in tarballs, and we'll build it (with a sub-configure) if
plugins are enabled. Is anybody against this?

Brice