Cc'ed a bunch of mpich folks.

Dave forwarded this link, which has some good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Point_of_view:_dynamic_and_static_linking_violate_GPL

If libpci was disabled by default, would hwloc still come under the same
GPL issue?

I checked libnuma, which seems to be LGPL (phew!), but didn't look at
the remaining libraries hwloc uses.

 -- Pavan