Just as a follow up to this thread. I spoke with someone from IBM and they tell
me that 2 cores of 4 hardware threads each are hidden from the kernel (how do
they do that?) and used for the custom HS4 cards we have installed on the IO
nodes, which explains why I see only 60 instead of 68 threads. the 2 bgvrnic
tasks I see spinning at 100% run on threads 58/59 and service the connection
from ION to CN.

It looks as though everything is reporting as expected - as long as I compile
hwloc on the ION itself, it seems to be correct.

Thanks and sorry for any misunderstanding

JB