There was a processor set defined (command psrset) on this machine.
Having removed the psrset hwloc-info produces a result without error messages:

hwloc-info -v
depth 0:        1 Machine (type #1)
 depth 1:       2 NUMANode (type #2)
  depth 2:      2 Package (type #3)
   depth 3:     12 Core (type #5)
    depth 4:    24 PU (type #6)

It seems the concept of defining a psrset is in contradiction to what hwloc and/or openmpi expects/allows.