Judge allowed rapist to marry victim's mother

New York (dpa) - A New York judge who allowed a rapist to marry his victim's
mother has said that he weds "scores" of convicts each year to help them
avoid gay experiences behind bars, according to a report Friday.

New York State Supreme Court Justice James Canfield - who performed a
marriage ceremony before packing the rapist off to prison - said he plays
matchmaker so prisoners can have conjugal visits, Thle New York Post
reported.

When told critics called the weddings wrong, Canfield snapped: "So we should
turn [inmates] into homosexuals? The courts ruled that to be cruel and
unusual punishment, no offense to the homosexuals," said Canfield, who has
been a judge since 1992.

"Rather than getting trapped in deviant sexual behavior, I'd rather they
have heterosexual, conjugal opportunities."

Canfield, 60, garnered widespread attention when on Monday he married a
just-sentenced convicted rapist to the mother of his victim.

Defiant Canfield did it again Thursday, presiding over the wedding of a man
sentenced minutes before by another judge to up to 10 years in prison. That
convict had sex with three young girls, including two of his daughters.

Many inmates take the plunge in hopes of becoming eligible for conjugal
visits, which are allowed in 17 of the state's 71 prisons.

Canfield estimates he marries between 20 and 30 prisoners a year just before
they are shipped off to the big house. He said he does it in part because no
other judge in his county will.

Canfield told The Post the ceremony takes just a few minutes, and often the
soon-to-be inmate is in shackles. He said he does not inquire about what
crimes have been committed.

Miroslav Antic,
http://www.antic.org/

THE END