Title: Message

Canuck army has no teeth

By PETER WORTHINGTON -- Toronto Sun

When Prime Minister Jean Chretien meets U.S. President George W. Bush today in Washington, he's going to get a more lavish reception than he would, had not Canada been omitted from the president's speech to Congress.

Whether the omission was by accident or design is academic -- it illustrated our PM's flaccid response to the terrorist attack on America and, by implication, on civilized people everywhere.

Chretien has said appropriate words, "we stand shoulder to shoulder", but resisted following up with anything substantial. Canadians, on the other hand, have mostly shown their colours and stand tall, making our PM seem akin to Neville Chamberlain.

However politics now take over at the Washington meeting of George and Jean. Bush will fuss over Chretien, smooth ruffled feathers, and we'll go on from there.

But the fact remains that in Bush's well-crafted speech mobilizing the free world against terrorism, citing those who stand with America -- over a dozen countries mentioned and all regions of the world -- Canada was left out. Deservedly.

A COMPASS poll shows 81% of Canadians want our military involved in any coalition action against terrorism.

Sorry, that won't happen, because it can't happen.

In the past, Chretien has pledged more military involvement in crises than we have troops available.

This time he's pledged nothing. Nor has he said we will tighten internal or border security. Nor anything about curbing tax deductions for donations to groups with links to terrorists -- hence the observation that we are the democratic Taliban of North America, providing a haven for suspect terrorists.

As for military participation in any anti-terrorist alliance, the sorry reality remains that Canada will not commit fighting troops for the simple reason that we can't.

Our army is comprised of three infantry regiments of three battalions each, three armoured regiments and artillery. Every unit is under-strength without the equipment, weapons or training to fight.

The Canadian army hasn't had a brigade exercise in a decade. We are a piecemeal army, geared only for conventional warfare -- in theory.

Rooting out terrorists and their training camps involves unconventional warfare -- the sort that defeated conventional armies in Angola, Eritrea, Afghanistan.

Yet, Canada never sent a military observer to these conflicts to study how and why they succeeded.

Even the American army is no great shakes at unconventional warfare, despite their Delta Force, Rangers, and Green Berets. U.S. attempts in Somalia to capture warlord Mohammed Aidid were a fiasco, especially when journalists had little trouble interviewing him.

The best soldiers in the world for special operations are the Brits -- SAS, Royal Marines, Commandos. For decades, Britain has waged unpublicized, quick, decisive, effective actions wherever needed. Even now, the SAS are said to be inside Afghanistan.

Canada supposedly has elite anti-terrorist troops -- Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2) that consist of maybe 250 fit and trained soldiers. But they've never done much, except guard bigshots.

Even our CF-18 aircraft aren't updated for today's warfare. Chretien vetoed getting new helicopters eight years ago. His understanding of our army seems limited to wearing a helmet backwards -- as he did in the Balkans.

Anyway, gone are the days when Canadian soldiers served in the front lines in freedom's wars -- not their fault, but the government's.

And it's now too late to change.

Letters to the editor should be sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED].

THE END