Sorry .. I have been out on vacation .. and before that over-looked this email anyway.

I do not have a workaround here.

I had supposed the emoji fonts provide the colour image as an alternative that some APIs understand and that any code asking directly for a normal glyph image would get it but I'd have to investigate what is happening in JDK code and how this can be resolved.
Perhaps the emoji can be co-erced into being an ImageGraphicAttribute and we
can use TextLayout to handle it but I suspect there'll be snags ..

Obviously the crash needs to be looked at .. surprised no one has reported that before.

-Phil.