On 2016-01-16 11:53 AM, André Glória wrote:
Hello,

I just want to give you my 2 cents on this discussion.
I agree with you, proper names should never be translated. And those
examples are quite good, Geany, MS Word, LibreOffice, etc.

In this plugin's particular case I would never translated "Bird's Eye" but
I would say that since it is called "Overview" it should. My reasoning is
the following, the former name does not really imply the plugin's
functionality while the latter is more of its function/action than its name.
And if you look at other Geany's plugins I would say that this is their
main idea also, GeanyPy is a name but "Split Window" is a function/action.

Ultimately you have to assume that the translation is made to help people
that have zero knowledge on the original's program language, and therefore
the more you translate the better. While translating a name like "Geany
"does not give you any benefits (imho), translating a  function/action does.
Off course you could argue that at least in Geany's case the plugins are
presented on a list with a succinct description right under their name
which could make translating their "name" irrelevant. I would agree with
such argument but I would still stand by the fact that if the plugin's name
is more of its function/action than a name per se it still brings more
value to translated than not.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush