Around 19 o'clock on Sep 2, Brian Stell wrote:

> Seems wise to put glyph fill-in in a "Pango level" layer.

I think what I'll do is write some primitive helpers in Xft and possibly 
some simplistic fill-in there so that simple applications needn't reinvent 
the world; at this point applications requesting non-existant glyphs just 
get little rectangles.  The main thing is to make sure that the actual 
substitution can be disabled for smarter toolkits.  

I suspect the helper code will remain useful -- essentially it will
generate a font name that does contain the requested glyphs from an
existing font pattern.  From that, it's rather trivial to make Xft load the
font and use the glyphs and I might as well.

> My current thoughts on printing is to do like OpenOffice and
> embed the glyphs in a PostScript output. This would also suggest
> putting the glyph fill-in in a "Pango level" layer.

That's what Qt does; it certainly looks like the right solution at many 
levels.  And, it does suggest that any fill-in for printing will require 
application assistance to manage the output correctly.  This suggests that 
the underlying font matching code should probably not manage the fill-in, 
but doesn't suggest removing it from the X interface library.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.


_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n

Reply via email to