Hello,

I tested luit and found a problem on JIS X 0212, like following:

First I invoke xterm in UTF-8 mode.
      $ xterm -u8
Then, push Ctrl + Mouse3 and choose "Large" to use 9x18 and 18x18ja.
Next, I prepared a Japanese text file which contain JIS X 0212
character written in EUC-JP.
      $ echo -e '\361\326\217\351\321' > JISX0212testfile
Next, the contents was displayed using "iconv" (I use Debian Sid
with GNU libc 2.2.4.)
      $ iconv -f EUC-JP -t UTF-8 <JISX0212testfile
      <><>  (two Kanjis where the 2nd one is from JIS X 0212 character set)
Next, invoke luit in Japanese locale.
      $ LANG=ja_JP.eucJP luit
Then, the contents was displayed again.  Now the terminal must be
EUC-JP mode and I can use 'cat' simply.
      $ cat JISX0212testfile
      <><>  (two Kanjis where the 2nd one is not same as the upper one)
However, the result is different!  Thus, I tried to understand what
occurs.
      $ echo <><> (broken one, copy-paste from the above) | od -t o1
      361 326 351 321 012
Here, the two characters were inputed into shell by using copy-paste
of the above (broken) string.

Now, check the contents of the octadecimal dump.
I found that \217 (0x8F, SS3) is disappeared...

I think luit uses JIS X 0212 (i.e., G3 character set) via GL.
This is not true.  EUC-JP uses JIS X 0212 via GR.

The Japanese string I used for this test is just same as the
string which (I remember) is shown in luit's web page as a
JIS X 0212 demo.  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/luit/
though this page is not available now...

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/