I was just informed that Vietnam has recently published TCVN 6909:2001
"16-bit Coded Vietnamese Character Set", which is to be implemented for
data interchange with and within government agencies as of 2002-07-01:

  http://www.undp.org.vn/unicode/

It is a very small UCS subset:

# Plane 00
# Rows  Positions (Cells)

  00    20-7E A0 C0-C3 C8-CA CC-CD D2-D5 D9-DA DD E0-E3 E8-EA EC-ED F2-F5
  00    F9-FA FD
  01    10-11 28-29 68-69 A0-A1 AF-B0
  03    00-03 06 09 1B 23
  1E    A0-F9
  20    1C-1D

# Number of characters in above table: 238

So I guess all we have to do to conform to the new Vietnamese government
character encoding requirement is to add suitable keyboard definitions
and make sure there are ISO 10646-1 fonts with suitable coverage
available.

Markus