There are two cases proposed by  SDN controlled IPsec Flow Protection:

-        Case 1 is SDN controller only sending down the IPsec configuration
attributes to End points, and End Points supports the IKEs and SA maintenance.

-        Case 2 is end points not supporting IKEv2. SDN controller manage all
the SA Key computation and distribute to all end nodes. We had an interim
meeting discussing this. (see the attached Meeting minutes).

Question to IPsecme WG: How about something in between?

-        Assume that SDN controller maintain TLS (or DTLS) to all end points
for distributing the IPsec configuration attributes (same as Case 1 above).

-        Instead of using IKEv2 for two end points (E1 & E2) to establish
secure channel first for SA negotiation purpose, E1 can utilize the secure
channel between E1 <-> SDN-Controller <->E2 to negotiate SA with E2 and
responsible for its own SA computation.

-        E1&E2 still compute SA and maintain SAD. Only utilize the secure
channel through the SDN controller to exchange SA.

This method not only doesn’t require the SDN controller to keep all the SAD for
all nodes, but also simplify large SD-WAN deployment with large number of IPsec
tunnels among many end points.

Any opinion? Issues?

Linda Dunbar