Hi Roman,

Putting aside the most "philosophical" questions (though I strongly share
Susan's view about the slow start of many of the YANG models), let me just
share a reflection on the (I'd daresay evident) need for YANG modules related
to security protocols. If the current proposed new charter for I2NSF is not
appropriate to address need, would this imply that we should need a more
radical re-chartering? Why would a different, new WG be required to deal with
this goal?

Be goode,

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr2lopez/

e-mail: diego.r.lo...@telefonica.com
Mobile:  +34 682 051 091
----------------------------------

On 20/03/2022, 22:03, "I2nsf on behalf of Roman Danyliw"
<i2nsf-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of r...@cert.org> wrote:

    Hi Sue!

> [...]

    I don't have comprehensive data on any of these.  The datatracker likely
has some of this information but it would take effort to extract.

    > 1) How many security Yang models have been published?

    My sense is that that the number of Yang models from the SEC area is low in
in comparison to other areas.  Other areas do publish Yang modules on Sec
related topics.

    > 2) How long does it take Yang models approved in the security area?

    I'm only tracking two data points -- I2NSF and RATS.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rats-yang-tpm-charra/ was adopted
by the RATS WG in January 2020 and reviewed by the IESG at the last 03/10/2022
telechat.  If you count from the first individual draft -00, then the time
starts at Jul 2018 (which was even before the first RATS BOF at IETF 103).

    > 3) How many IETF yang models have been deployed?

    I can't say.  For Yang module and most IETF work, there isn't a good sense
of that answer in the aggregate.  My experience is that specific WGs have a
better sense of implementations and adoption of their technologies.  Perhaps
the I2NSF Yang module authors can give us a sense of adoption.

    > 4) Does the small deployment for IETF yang models change the value of the
    > model?

    At the risk of getting philosophical, such a hypothetical question depends
on your definition of value, who are the stakeholders, and desired payoff
horizon this technology.

    > The SEC-ADs sent this WG off to create Yang models.   Did you consider
this
    > in your review?

    I definitely considered the existing I2NSF charter and the planned
milestones before my review.

    This WG was not so much sent off to create Yang models as, like every WG,
approved with a specific scope, in this case making Yang models for a narrow
scope.

    > May I politely and respectfully suggest there are things about the
standardizing
    > Yang models that you have not asked about.
    >
    > The first stage of a yang model is joyous. You decide what goes in.   The
    > second of getting a prototype yang model  implementation is hard work.
The
    > third stage of getting the model approved in the IETF environment is
    > frustrating and painful.    During the second and third stage, most WGs
have
    > trouble keeping up the energy - since it is all about the small details of
    > Yang.

    Help me understand how to read this progression as it relates to the I2NSF
documents.  What didn't I ask?

    > Tom Petch has been very helpful, but it is a long process to refactored
    > structures in Yang.  Paul has done a tremendous job in both doing
prototype
    > implementations,  and working through the lengthy issues with the Yang
    > models.   While completing those 5 models, Paul has run into many of the
    > structural issues/debates inside Yang.

    I couldn't agree with you more.  Paul and Tom have a done a tremendous and
admirable job on the core I2NSF data models.

    > Having struggle to incorporate yang models from IP-SEC into the BGP model
    > (with my excellent co-authors),  may I suggest that even the IP-SEC models
    > are just at the beginning from I2NSF.    Maybe there are other IP-SEC Yang
    > models outside of I2NSF.

    The community would know better than me on what future work is needed to
better manage security protocols, IPSec, or otherwise with Yang modules.  I
don't see the I2NSF WG being the place to do that Yang work for security
protocols in the general case.

    Roman

    > Sue

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede
contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la
persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda
notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin
autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha
recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente
por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is confidential and privileged
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not
read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this
communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode
conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa
ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica
notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização
pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem
por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e
proceda a sua destruição