Hi Jeff, Susan,

In one of the discussions that I had with Juergen regarding datastores he indicated the refined datastore architecture that I was proposing wasn't in keeping with the current ephemeral datastore ideas on I2RS, hence I'm trying to catch up.

I have a few clarifying questions on sections 3.2 of draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state that you might be able to help with me please. I've only just signed up the IR2S, so apologies if these questions have already been asked/answered.

Section 3.1. Persistence, paragraph 1 is stated as:

   Ephemeral-REQ-01: I2RS requires ephemeral state; i.e. state that does
   not persist across reboots.  If state must be restored, it should be
   done solely by replay actions from the I2RS client via the I2RS
   agent.  Ephemeral state may consist of ephemeral configuration or
   ephemeral operational state, or both.

This text makes it clear that "Ephemeral state" consists of both "ephemeral config" and/or "ephemeral operation state".

Ephemeral-REQ-03 is stated as:

   Ephemeral-REQ-03: Ephemeral state must be able to utilized temporary
   operational state (e.g.  MPLS LSP-ID or a BGP IN-RIB) as a
   constraints.

Q1. Am I right in understanding that both ephemeral config and ephemeral operational state independently have the requirement that they have to rely on regular operational state as a constraint?

Q2. What is expected to happen if the operational state changes such that the constraint no longer hold for a ephemeral node? Should that node be removed, or just stop taking effect? Or expressed differently: could ephemeral config be regarded as being conditionally applied on a constraint?

Ephemeral-REQ-04 is stated as:

   Ephemeral-REQ-04: Ephemeral state MAY refer to non-ephemeral state
   for purposes of implementing constraints.  The designer of ephemeral
   state modules are advised that such constraints may impact the speed
   of processing ephemeral state commits and should avoid them when
   speed is essential.

Q3. I think that REQ-03 may already answer this, but to avoid any confusion: Does this mean that ephemeral config nodes may refer to non-ephemeral operational state nodes?

Thanks,
Rob