Hi,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM, DR <drdarkra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, Why no xft support?
> I could found a lot of use cases for xft, like:
> Outline fonts, hinting, sub-pixel font rendering which would be nice
> for lcd display, support font alias so I could use different font for
> different language, make font config easier, and many more.
>
> So could anyone give me a reason why you decided not to include xft support?

I guess you reached that conclusion based on item 9 in the i3 home
page. Michael could probably give you specific reasons, but most
likely he simply likes his X core fonts and wouldn't want the burdern
of supporting different rendering engines. Now I've talked to Michael
about this in the past, and I think we might be able to support modern
rendering engines soon-ish.

Some time ago we made changes to the i3 source that moved font
rendering to libi3. Right now we can only render X core fonts with
this font rendering API, but I maintain a Pango backend (I can post
the patches somewhere if you want to give it a shot). When and if this
backend is merged, we'll have "xft" fonts in i3.

The major reason why this backend hasn't been merged so far is that i3
uses xcb, not Xlib (well, except for a few things) and we use Pango to
render on top of a Cairo surface connected to a xcb pixmap. Cairo
doesn't officially support xcb, so not all distros ship xcb support
for Cairo (Debian does, Arch doesn't). This is probably gonna change
when the next release of Cairo is out (1.12, if I'm not mistaken). By
then we can consider integrating this backend or not.

To clarify, Pango support would automagically bring us (in i3, i3bar
and other tools):

* UTF-8 support
* Support for right-to-left languages
* Smooth fonts, with hinting, sub-pixel rendering, etc., as you mentioned

Pango support would *not* bring us "outlines", though. Although it
could perhaps be implemented with Pango, this would require theming
changes, and that would be a separate discussion.

Regards,