I invoke i3lock at the commandline thus:

[S-18]jeff@siegfried:gtd $ strace -o/tmp/i3lock-log-$(date +%s) -f -s 2048
-tt  i3lock --dpms --inactivity-timeout 10 --color=220022
[S-18]jeff@siegfried:gtd $

and the result is that i3lock does not recognize my password.  It does echo
my typing, it just always says fail.  I switch to a vt, login, and kill it.

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255    <-- only if I'm in the UK

http://jeff.purple.com/
http://blog.purple.com/jeff/