I have a script that does that, to pause dunst (whilst locking) and/or
disabling the autolock screensaver (for a presentation mode).

The trick is to be able to check for a state, which I do by using gtrayicon
to visually show the current state, so the script can check whether to
enable or disable the mode.

See https://github.com/srvg/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/presentation-mode