Margie Warrell offers the following royalty-free article for you to publish 
online or in print.
Feel free to use this article in your newsletter, website, ezine, blog, or 
forum.
-----------
PUBLICATION GUIDELINES
- You have permission to publish this article for free providing the "About the 
Author" box is included in its entirety.
- Do not post/reprint this article in any site or publication that contains 
hate, violence, porn, warez, or supports illegal activity.
- Do not use this article in violation of the US CAN-SPAM Act. If sent by 
email, this article must be delivered to opt-in subscribers only.
- If you publish this article in a format that supports linking, please ensure 
that all URLs and email addresses are active links.
- Please send a copy of the publication, or an email indicating the URL to 
[email protected]
- Article Marketer (www.ArticleMarketer.com) has distributed this article on 
behalf of the author. Article Marketer does not own this article, please 
respect the author's copyright and publication guidelines. If you do not agree 
to these terms, please do not use this article.
-----------
Article Title: Got More Answers Than Questions?
Author: Margie Warrell
Category: Inspirational/Motivational, Advice, Entrepreneurship
Word Count: 1247
Keywords: answers, questions, find your courage, embrace challenges
Author's Email Address: [email protected]
Article Source: http://www.articlemarketer.com
------------------ ARTICLE START ------------------

"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell he is wise by his 
questions" (Naguib Mahfouz, Egyptian Nobel Laureate)
 
If I had a dollar for every opinion I'd heard over the last few months about 
what would solve the woes of the US economy, I reckon I'd be able to fund the 
entire $700 billion bailout myself!  The economy, energy independence, foreign 
policy, auto industry bailouts, war torn Iraq, recalcitrant Iran, Sarah Palin, 
health care, Republican vs. Democrat...  man, there are a lot of different 
opinions out there; and living a stone's throw from Washington D.C., I've been 
well and truly immersed in them!
 
Of course I don't have all the answers to these big problems, but what truly 
amazes me is how many people think they do. Julio Olalla, a wise man and 
masterful coach, once said "Most people have answers to questions they have 
never asked".   Whether it's the big problems facing the globe or the more 
personal problems people struggle with in their relationships, family's, 
careers and lives, most people have far more answers than they do questions.   

Just this last week I was with a client who stated, most emphatically, "But 
this is just the way it is!" in regard to a challenging situation he faced at 
work.  But, as I pointed out, "This is not 'just the way it is', this is just 
the way it is FOR YOU!" For all of us, the story we have about a situation can 
undermine the effectiveness of our actions to address it. 

I will guarantee you that if there's an issue causing you some emotional 
heartburn, then intertwined in the problem will be an opinion you are holding 
that needs putting through the ringer. Likewise, if you have a problem that 
keeps resurfacing again and again (even if in different clothes each time) then 
there's something missing in how you are looking at it that is perpetuating the 
cycle.  Only by having the courage to ask new questions which challenge the 
answers you've been treating as 'truth' and stepping back to see your opinions 
for what they are - just opinions - can you hope to resolve your relationship 
tensions, organizational challenges and any other problems that weigh you down.
  
Zen says, "Don't seek the truth. Just seek to cherish opinions." To which I 
would add, "...particularly those different to your own." Obviously we are all 
entitled to our opinions. It's when we think that our opinion is the only right 
and valid one that we run into strife.   

After all, if your opinion is the only right one, then by default, everyone 
else's must be wrong. The implication: you are smart; they are stupid (or at 
minimum, 'misguided'). Irony is that our ability to persuade others to adopt 
our viewpoint is weakened, not strengthened, when we force it onto others.

Having arrived back in Australia last week, I found myself in a conversation 
with someone who was telling me how "shameful, immoral and unethical" our 
government and corporate leaders are for their lack of action in the fight 
against global warming. She was absolutely outraged that companies put bottom 
line concerns ahead of the environment. 

It's possible there were some valid points somewhere in her argument but the 
ferocity and righteousness with which she was pushing her opinion on me and the 
complete absence of any interest in my opinion that challenged her own left me 
checking out of the conversation and making a mental note to avoid similar 
conversations with this woman in the future. 

After all, how can one reason with someone who is being unreasonable? I felt 
like I was having an argument with a two year old. Of course I'm sure you would 
never be as righteous as righteous like this (??) but perhaps there is some 
issue (or person) that you are very one-eyed about that is doing you, and your 
cause, a disservice. 

It brings to mind something the late comedian George Carlin once said, "Have 
you ever noticed out driving your car how everyone going slower than you is an 
idiot, and everyone going faster is a maniac?"   We all like to think that "we" 
are the one who has it figured out and it's everyone else that is morally or 
intellectually inferior in some way.  It's a human thing. But it's my humble 
opinion that the most evolved among us aren't those with the most answers but 
those with the best questions.
  
Look at all the suffering, violence and problems in the world, and you can 
trace most of it back not to the work of mentally unhinged nuts or narcissistic 
criminals, but to normal respectable people who are convinced of the rightness 
of their opinions.  But in a world weighed down by so much conflict, family 
breakdown, injustice, immaculate mediocrity, fundamentalism and sheer 
ignorance, just imagine the profound shift that would occur if people were 
willing to step away from all their answers, let go their stranglehold on 'the 
truth' and step humbly, and vulnerably, into questions -  Questions like:

* What is it about me, and how I'm observing this, that has me see it as I do?

* How else could I view this situation?

* What is it about how others see it that I can learn from?

* How might others' opinions be threatening to me? Why?

* How might my opinion be threatening to them and how can I make it less so?

* Where is my pride and ego invested in me being 'right' (or making others 
wrong)?

* What questions have I never asked about this issue, situation or person?

* Where would collaboration, respect and harmony grow in my relationships if I 
could give up being the one with all the answers?
  
Most people are far too busy trying to preserve their ego (and the opinions 
which prop it up) to step back and seek out a deeper understanding and broader 
perspective. Whether it's an issue with a work colleague, spouse, family 
member, or your boss, taking time to genuinely understand not just what they 
think, but why they came to think that way, can be an extremely worthwhile 
endeavor.  

Stephen Covey, who I will be contributing to a book with next year, stated in 
his Bestselling The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, "Seek first to 
understand then to be understood."  Note he did not say, "Make sure you are 
understood then seek to understand".  Why? Because he knows that no-one likes 
to have an opinion forced down their throat and trust and mutual respect always 
grows when we take time to genuinely listen in a spirit of open mindedness.
  
There are things in life that we can never fully understand; mysteries that 
will never be solved. However, by sitting in the questions, and being willing 
to engage in conversations that expand our thinking, we stand a far greater 
chance of living into the answers and resolving the big challenges facing us, 
personally and collectively, than we otherwise might.
  
And what about you?  How might it serve you - your relationships, career, 
finances, health and happiness - to let go some of your answers and begin 
asking new and bigger and harder questions?  I don't know the answer, but I'm 
sure a new realm of possibilities will open up for you as a result.

An intrepid Australian, Certified Coach, Speaker and Best Selling Author, 
Margie Warrell is an expert on living and leading with greater clarity, 
confidence and courage. For more information and a host of free resources to 
support you in creating greater success go to http://www.findyourcourage.com.
------------------ ARTICLE END ------------------



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to