David;

Great News. Duplication is possible and quite rapid in terminal:

r...@520n-robert:/home/robert/Desktop# dd if=/dev/sdg of=USB8.img
15687680+0 records in
15687680+0 records out
8032092160 bytes (8.0 GB) copied, 421.146 s, 19.1 MB/s
r...@520n-robert:/home/robert/Desktop# dd if=USB8.img of=/dev/sdg
15687680+0 records in
15687680+0 records out
8032092160 bytes (8.0 GB) copied, 2461.4 s, 3.3 MB/s
r...@520n-robert:/home/robert/Desktop#

Sucessfully copies the USB stick! this is an exact copy and boot and runs well.

*Thus one can develop a custom install and then duplicate it.
* the same command can be repeated by pressing arrow cursor up and hitting return with new stick once the .img file is created. * I have sucessfully done a [USB4.img.tar.gz] file and then uncompressed it. So it should be possible to download USB .img files over the net.

I had several failures though.:
(The USB's are slightly different in size sometimes even though same size and manufacturer)
(Bad elements?)

r...@520n-robert:/home/robert/Desktop# dd if=USB4.img of=/dev/sdg
dd: writing to `/dev/sdg': No space left on device
7843840+0 records in
7843839+0 records out
4016045568 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 1008.41 s, 4.0 MB/s
r...@520n-robert:/home/robert/Desktop#

Still testing

Tom Gilliard

David Farning wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Thomas C