2009/11/9 Bill Kerr <billk...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 07.11.2009, at 23:28, Bill Kerr wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Agreed on the "should be there" part.
>>>
>>> As for "better UI": Scratch does what it does incredibly well. If all
>>> you want to do can be done in Scratch then it is an excellent tool.
>>>
>>> Etoys is way more powerful, but comparatively hard to get into.
>>
>> thanks for replying Bert
>> I'm not sure what you mean by Etoys being way more powerful. I would agree
>> that Kedama, the parallel tile particle system, is way more powerful than
>> anything in Scratch.
>> Did you have something more in mind?
>>
>> Yes, too many to list all in fact. The power of Scratch lies in its limited
>> scope - several years of development and refinement went into it to find the
>> smallest set of features that make it easily teachable while still broadly
>> applicable.
>> There are others who could describe the Squeak/Etoys philosophy better than
>> me, but one of its core ideas is "no limits".
>> Where Scratch is a closed environment, Etoys provides just a thin layer of
>> visual scripting on top of a much larger system. There are literally
>> hundreds of objects that can be used as building blocks, from basic ones
>> like rectangles, ellipses, polygons, or text, to complex ones like a book or
>> a MIDI sequencer or video player or a working chess game (in Scratch there
>> are only bitmap-sprites). In Etoys you can change coordinate systems, or
>> embed objects into each other creating hierarchical animations, or connect
>> objects with arrows to create diagrams that are fully scriptable, etc. In
>> Scratch, every Sprite is separate, and they can communicate with others only
>> by broadcasting - this is more limited but much easier to learn, and less
>> prone to errors.
>> And if all that is not enough (there are always things the designers can't
>> anticipate) Etoys lets you escape to the full Squeak environment. While
>> Scratch is implemented in Squeak too, you cannot access it. Again that
>> limitation was a conscious trade-off (for example it enables "players" for
>> Scratch projects to be implemented in other languages).
>> Here are a few examples of my own projects in the Squeak showcase that I
>> think would be hard to recreate in Scratch.
>> Collision Physics
>> http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7052
>> (objects with collision sensors adding their forces to influence motion,
>> this one is pure Etoys)
>> OLPC-XO-Display
>> http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7050
>> (adds a new Squeak class to simulate the pixel pattern of the XO's display)
>> Euros
>> http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7055
>> (connects to a web service to get currency conversion rate using a few lines
> [...]

Btw, if anyone would like to work on improving the Scratch experience
for Sugar users (including making its installation easier) I will be
happy to provide pointers, help and contact the Scratch maintainers
and other people who want to see this happen.

I have heard that Scratch is quite used by Sugar users, and I'm
surprised at the little work that has gone into making their
experience better.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning