Caroline

Thanks for bring this to my attention, you have done a good video presentation
of it. Testing (and tailoring instruction as a response) is coming back into
fashion in Australia. Australia seems to lag the US in this.

The US has had the No Child Left Behind for a while now, which has an emphasis
on testing. The Australian government has just introduced the Myschool site
http://www.myschool.edu.au/ which lists schools by their two yearly test
results. The results are moderated by the school's socioeconomic status. The
justification is that it rewards effective teaching and gives parents the
opportunity to vote with their feet.

The strongest argument against is that any easily administered testing is
biased towards lower level skills (as defined in Bloom's taxonomy). That would
be OK, depending on how the data is used. Any attempt to modify teaching in
response, biases the teaching towards the lower level skills.

In the Australian case, schools will be forced to confine their teaching to
lower order skills to maintain their ranking, preserve enrolments and avoid
criticism and funding cuts. In the case of RTI, it risks defining student
progress by a narrow subset of education skills and overly concentrating
teaching on this narrow subset.

Tony