On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM, David Farning <dfarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been discussion on development processes and a development
> team lead over the past couple of days.  As this discussion moves
> forward, I would like the community to consider the effects of working
> with commercial entity.
>
> Over the past couple of months I have been exploring business
> opportunities to promote the adoption and development of Sugar.  One
> of these opportunities is a service and support business for
> deployments.  As such, we are building network of developers to work
> on deployment specific issues.
>
> One consideration is that these deployment specific issues are often
> boring -- stuff like bug fixes.  As such we are paying the developers
> the going rate rate for developers in their country or region.  This
> brings three advantages:
> 1. The deployment issues are fixed.
> 2. These fixes are pushed upstream for inclusion into Sugar.
> 3.  There is a growing pool of skilled developers, with knowledge of
> how to work with the Sugar community, co-located with deployment
>
> david

David,
Support and Service structure will be immensely useful. In my talks
with schools around here and agencies interested in early childhood
education, the no 1 issue that comes up is "Who will support this
deployment?" I am talking in context of both (XO + Sugar) and (<some
computer> + Sugar) in schools around here.

If someone does decide to set up a for-profit or not-for-profit entity
for a deployment, what will the rules of engagement be with SL? I'd be
happy to put on my B-school hat and help out with the process, if
necessary.

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems