On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Bernie Innocenti <ber...@codewiz.org> wrote:
>>  * Explore Sugar in the context of mobile devices and web-based
>> services
>
> I'm not aware of any work in this direction. I can understand the need
> to integrate with web-based services (aka online communities).
>
> If "mobile devices" in this context means devices smaller than netbooks,
> such as smart phones, I'm not sure what their use would be in an
> education context.

Are iPad-class devices (such as the XO-3) or touchscreen devices (such
as the XO-1.75) counted as "mobile devices"?

There will shortly be a large number of iPad-style devices on the
market.  The hackable ones will probably be running some version of
Android (which may or may not mean that a "real" linux distro can be
installed).

>>  * Eat our own dogfood
>>    * Promote free software
>
> I think we're doing well here.

Are developers using Sugar as their day-to-day development environment yet?

>>    * Be transparent and open to critique
>>
> In the past, we've been criticized for insufficient transparency. Does
> anyone still have a problem with this?

"Open to critique" isn't quite the same as "responsive to critique".

>From an outside perspective, it seems that frequently SugarLabs is
just not listening to people who offer contrary opinions.  This is
better than flaming them, but maybe not as good as it could be.

For an end-of-year report, I'd like to see instances enumerated where
SugarLabs actually internalized some outside critique and responded in
a positive way -- some concrete change made to the UI, or Sugar, or to
process.  That would be more convincing that simply stating, "we are
now open to critique".

> We're definitely intimidating to non-technical people. At least, this is
> what I sensed at the Realness Summit. OLE also seems to be doing a
> better job at connecting with educators. I'm not completely sure what
> corrective actions should be. We might need to do some work on the wiki,
> maybe add web forums, which non-geeks tend to prefer...

I suspect that the answer to this problem does not involve installing
additional software.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )