FYI. I'm spreading this news around to see whether we can organize some
projects to take advantage of this opportunity.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Creative Commons <developm...@creativecommons.org>
Date: Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 13:03
Subject: CC News: $2 billion fund available for open education
To: "echer...@gmail.com" <echer...@gmail.com>

 If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may view it
online<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2748&qid=297290>
.

<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2659&qid=297290>

*Stay up to date with CC news by subscribing to our
weblog<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2650&qid=297290>and
following us on
Twitter<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2652&qid=297290>
.*

CC heads into February with exciting new developments in policy, science,
and journalism.

*A new U.S. education fund makes available $2 billion to create open
educational resources in community colleges*

The U.S. Department of Labor and the Department of Education
announced<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2653&qid=297290>a
new education fund that will grant $2 billion to create open
educational
resources (OER) materials for career training programs in community
colleges. The Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career
Training Grant Program (TAACCCT) will invest $2 billion over the next four
years into grants that will “provide community colleges and other eligible
institutions of higher education with funds to expand and improve their
ability to deliver education and career training programs.” What's more,
the full program
announcement<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2655&qid=297290>(PDF)
states that all the resources created using these funds must be
released under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC
BY<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2657&qid=297290>)
license. The first round of funding will be $500 million over the next year.
Applications to the solicitation are now open, and will be due April 21,
2011. Read what our incoming CEO, Cathy Casserly, has to say at the full
post<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2659&qid=297290>
.

*Nature Publishing Group announces a new open access journal and support for
CC*

[image: nature reports logo]
<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2661&qid=297290>

Nature Publishing
Group<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2663&qid=297290>has
long been a leader in scientific and medical publishing. Last month,
the
company announced a brand new online open access journal called *Scientific
Reports*<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2665&qid=297290>.
With this launch, a full 80% of NPG academic and society journals and 50% of
all journals the company publishes offer open access options to authors.
Additionally, NPG is going to make a donation to Creative Commons for every
publication in *Scientific
Reports*<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2667&qid=297290>.
We are thrilled to have this financial support that will help us continue to
provide the legal and technical infrastructure of open systems. Read
more<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2669&qid=297290>
.
 *Al Jazeera adds Egypt and Tunisia coverage to its CC video repository*

Since the beginning of the Egyptian uprising on January 25th, Qatar-based
all-news Arabic channel Al Jazeera has been feeding its repository of
CC-licensed
video<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2671&qid=297290>with
up-to-date footage from Egypt and Tunisia. With a powerful network of
journalists and reporters on the ground who can provide footage that is
sometimes very difficult to obtain, "Al Jazeera has decided to make its
content available for other news sources to use through their Creative
Commons website”
(Wired<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2673&qid=297290>).
The footage released on Al Jazeera’s Creative Commons repository is under
the CC
BY<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2675&qid=297290>license,
which makes it legally available to be downloaded, shared,
re-mixed, translated and even re-broadcast without asking for further
permission as long as the original source is credited. Read
more<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2677&qid=297290>
.
 *In other news:*

   - Open data is huge this year. Read about CC's open data
strategy<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2679&qid=297290>and
what you can do to help.

   - Belgian and Israeli Courts granted
remedies<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2681&qid=297290>to
CC licensors.

   - Director Vincent Moon (of the Take-Away Shows)
announced<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2683&qid=297290>public-private
screenings for his new film, "An Island." The film, like all
   his work, is available under CC BY-NC-SA.

   - We launched a new blog
series<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2685&qid=297290>on
Creative Commons and Public Sector Information for the
   ePSIplatform.

   - We talked with Nick
Shockey<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2686&qid=297290>of
the Right to Research Coalition (R2RC) about the benefits of adopting
CC
   tools for open access literature, and the similarities between the open
   access and open education movements.

   - We changed our
website<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2688&qid=297290>
   !

   - We also
created<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2690&qid=297290>
CC
   REL by
Example<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2692&qid=297290>in
an effort to make CC license metadata much easier to implement. It
   includes many example HTML pages, as well as explanations and links to more
   information.

   - Finally, we rounded out the month by holding our first board meeting of

2011<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2694&qid=297290>and
completing three CC
   license 3.0
localizations<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2696&qid=297290>in
Estonia, Costa Rica, and Chile.

  *[image: Support
CC]<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2698&qid=297290>We
rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling stories like
those
above. *

*Follow us on
Twitter<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2652&qid=297290>
.
Join us on
Facebook<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2700&qid=297290>
.
Find out about upcoming
events<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2702&qid=297290>
.*

*Donate<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2704&qid=297290>
* to CC or peruse the cool swag available at the *CC
Store<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2706&qid=297290>
.*

*Forwarded from a friend?* Subscribe
<https://creativecommons.net/civicrm/mailing/subscribe?reset=1&%3bgid=121&%3b>to
the CC Newsletter.
To unsubscribe at any time, visit this web
page<https://creativecommons.net/index.php?q=civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe&reset=1&jid=529&qid=297290&h=14bc17951e8ad5a7>
.

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the generous support of
organizations including the Center for the Public Domain, Google, LuLu, the
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Mozilla Corporation, The
Omidyar Network, Red Hat, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as
well as members of the public (you!).
 [image: Creative Commons
License]<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2708&qid=297290>This
mailing is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
License<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2675&qid=297290>.

Banner photo by
velkr0<https://creativecommons.net/sites/default/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2744&qid=297290>–
CC