On 2012-06-19, at 20:53, Tony Anderson wrote:

> 5. Make sure the Kls_demo_1.tar.bz2 file is unpacked on a usb drive.
> The Learn activity checks all the mounted drives for a folder: kls.

That was the missing puzzle piece. I's still weird to require the USB drive
even after I copied everything to the activity's content folder already. Why?

In any case, it looks like I was mislead by these lines in your code:

        cmd = 'cp -r ~/Documents/karma'
        cmd = cmd + ' ~/Activities/Learn.activity/content/'
        subprocess.call(cmd,shell=True)

Also note that in the new OS, USB drives will not appear in /media anymore.

>> Even after I fixed all that manually, it still does not work. The activity
>> itself fails to start and show anything useful. It appears to only launch
>> the web server and Firefox. In a separate window. Not fullscreen. Firefox
>> shows only a directory listing, not the lessons. Quitting Firefox leaves the
>> web server running.
> If we can surmount the install problems, it should show the main screen seen
> in the screen shot on the website.

With the "kls" directory unpacked on the USB drive it works, indeed. But the
other problems are still there - Firefox is not actually wrapped, it appears in
a separate, non-Sugar window, whereas the activity window itself is not used.

But now I can comment on your original mail:

> The sample content includes two milestones each for English, Mathematics, and
> Science developed and used by the teachers at École Saint Jacobs in Kigali,
> Rwanda.

So the activity is in use already? It seemed quite unfinished to me.

> A button on the home page allows users
> to experience the activity with staff priviliges and as a student in P4, P5
> and P6.

The "p4" button does nothing here.

> There is also a 'Laboratory' subject where teachers can
> prepare milestones and lessons for the coming term. The Laboratory also
> support French to enable the French teacher also to create course materials.

Don't see the "Laboratory" subject.

> The Explore subject is intended to provide extra-curricular courses which
> students can study to earn badges. At present it contains examples of various
> types of lessons including a Khan Academy video and associated exercises as
> well as a story (with audio) from the British Council. Learn is capable of
> launching Sugar activities.

Found the audio lesson in Explore/examples/1/4.

> The examples
> in ms02 require that ShowNTell, Quiz, Memorize, Turtle Art, and the Jukebox
> activity be installed. (Jukebox is used to play the Khan video).
> If the activity launched by a Learn activity is not installed, it throws an
> exception.

With "ms02" do you mean "Explore/examples/2"? But clicking the green box does
nothing. Same for the 3rd box labeled "Khan". The first box has a dark blue top
for some reason, the others are light.

Oh. Trying again the tops now are blue too, and I can get to those lessons. Not
quite sure how to get back from the Khan practice though (except for closing
the tab). Is this just a local copy of some webpage from Khan academy?

- Bert -