Tony,

I have been using the Energia IDE on my MacBook Pro for the Launchpad.
As I understand it, it is an Arduino variant, free and open source:
http://energia.nu/
I am not sure if it will run on the XO, but it is an option as I see it.

I look forward to hearing about your progress. I will share whatever I
learn as well.

Thanks.
Gerald