---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Tony Sebro" <t...@sfconservancy.org>
Date: Apr 20, 2016 1:29 PM
Subject: Sugar Labs' governance policies; stipend for Devin (was: Re: Fwd:
Re: SLOBs approval needed for Bender expenses of $1,389.29 for
Constructionalism 2016)
To: "Adam Holt" <h...@laptop.org>, <su...@sfconservancy.org>
Cc: "iaep" <iaep@lists.sugarlabs.org>

> On 04/09/2016 06:20 PM, Adam Holt wrote:
>>
>> Hi Karen Sandler & Tony Sebro,
>>
>> As experts on practical governance in the FLOSS space, does
SFConservancy have an opinion on Sugar Labs currently maintaining our
legally-required 501(c)(3) bylaws on an open-to-all wiki at
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Governance regularly changed by
passersby, without even mentioning the word "bylaws" curiously?

> To clarify, Sugar Labs isn't legally required to maintain 501(c)(3)
bylaws, since Sugar Labs isn't a 501(c)(3) organization.  Sugar Labs
operates under Conservancy's umbrella.  Conservancy's bylaws are available
on our website:

> http://sfconservancy.org/about/filings/
>
> That being said, it's fine and appropriate for Sugar Labs to publish
project its governance policies on its website.  I'm sure community members
appreciate the transparency.  :)

>> Any quick recommendations and best practices we should strive for to
improve our legal/governance stewardship, given your extensive experience?

> I'll take a look; if anything jumps out, I'll offer my suggestions.
>>
>> Finally, thanks in advancefor your help clarifying whether Devin
Ulibarri needs a contract per Bradley Kuhn's careful reply and question
below, or if a $500 invoice suffices?

> Given that Devin has already completed his travel, and given your
confirmation that the SLOBs approved this expenditure, we can remit payment
upon receipt of an invoice without an agreement.  But, going forward, I
would ask that we negotiate agreements to cover these kinds of stipends
going forward -- if only to avoid ambiguity between the parties involved.