On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Adam Holt <h...@laptop.org> wrote:

> 1) Lionel is correct to suggest that some-or-most of the $2800 could
> disappear, if France rejects visas (every reasonably-priced flight is
> non-refundable in 2017; these funds would be lost).  Not at all an abstract
> hypothetical: France's visa approval process may require the flight be
> purchased in advance, and Samson's expenses traveling around Nigeria
> (flights, hotels etc) just to get a visa potentially be lost as well.

I think i will have do flight reservation to Bordeaux,
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/flight-itinerary-visa-application/

But my expenses traveling around Nigeria is really important because that
how i can the visa. If i don't make the trip no visa.

> In any case, I cannot count the number of times this has happened to good
> people with the *Very Best of Intentions*, people I've known to be the
> purest souls, whose visa AND flight funds completely disappeared as a
> result of their overseas visas/entry being rejected, based on one
> mysterious technicality or another.
>
> Worse yet: the (presumed, but not quite!) attendee generally has to pay
> for all lost funds themselves in such situations, as compensation is not
> possible when the conference/event was not in fact attended.
>
> 2) $2800 is far too high of a sum for Sugar Labs to gamble on such an
> uncertain outcome.  Some of the most productive hackers I know in Haiti
> live on $1000 per year total (or less).  I have flown to work with them and
> similar/such people on other continents over the past year, where the grand
> total cost was less than $500 (Asia and Europe) in all cases, by staying in
> other hackers/contributors homes.

Traveling from Nigeria is expensive, i had also have some experience when i
went to Nairobi.

For Ibiam a cheap travel plan would be PHC -- LOS -- PAR -- BOD, which
would cost around - €1127 ($1250)

A hotel room for 7 nights  costs about € 252.44 ($280)

Visa and Passport costs about € 149 ($165)

Conference fee €40 ($44.37)

Miscellaneous € 100($111)

Totalling € 1668.4($1851) , most figures rounded up.

> Conversely, flying to the EU mid-summer in the height of tourist season,
> is about as expensive as it gets.
>
> As such, a more financially judicious gamble might involve a carefully
> thought-out proposal for one single individual to attend.  Likely an
> individual who has the strongest track record of getting EU visas
> approved?  Or perhaps an individual who has established contacts /
> diplomatic connections within the French government, a high-level contact
> who cares about children and free software etc, to guarantee the visa will
> be approved?

More explanation please, i didn't really get the point.

> 3) Laura Vargas is correct SFC cannot generally provide funds in advance,
> so the mechanics of this entire proposal remain unclear.  Not reassuring
> when flight prices are already rising less than 2 months before the event.
> But possibly a (presumed) attendee can arrange a personal loan from a
> friend, to cover all funds in advance, to be reimbursed by SFC later if
> nothing goes wrong with the visa?

I will reach out to the scratch team in bordeaux then discuss about it.

> 4) If an improved proposal is indeed appropriate at this late stage, what
> community deliverables/artifacts will the attendee(s) publish and/or
> contribute in the end, preferably on the public record for all to share?

I don't understand, could you explain more.

> ASIDE: What is the exact/estimated total that Scratch itself has offered
> to contribute?

They will pay my(Samson) flight (PHC > Lagos > Paris > Bordeaux), hotel,
foods and visa.