Saya ngga tahu bagaimana bisa muncul tetapi penjelasan dari Nat Geography
tahun 2004 ini mungkin sdikit menjawab penasarannya Bosman
Interesting !

rdp

Device Uses Sewage Bacteria to Produce Electricity   *Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News
*   *March 1, 2004*     Researchers at Pennsylvania State University are
working to tap the
power of a renewable energy source that flows from our own
homes—Earth's enormous volume of domestic wastewater.

"Everybody has to eat," said Penn State environmental engineering professor
Bruce Logan. "And you know the implications of eating." Logan is talking
about human waste, of course.

Household wastewater from bathrooms and kitchens contains both organic
materials and bacteria. Logan and his colleagues have designed a new
"reactor" that not only treats the waterwater, but uses bacteria and sewage
raw materials to produce power.

The double benefit might someday reap enormous financial savings while
providing a clean energy source and improved wastewater treatment,
particularly in the developing world.

However, much work remains. To date, the team has only produced enough
electricity to meet five percent of the power drawn by a single Christmas
tree light bulb.

*Bacteria Power*

Wastewater bacteria feed on everything from solid human waste matter to last
night's leftovers. As the bacteria eat, they convert organic matter to
carbon dioxide, releasing electrons, the basic element of electrical
current.

Logan and his team have discovered how to tap into this unorthodox energy
source using a fairly simple contraption.

Their reactor is comprised of a plastic tube measuring just 6 inches (15
centimeters) long and 2.5 inches (6.5 centimeters) in diameter through which
wastewater is circulated. Graphite rods inside the tube function as negative
electrodes and host bacteria that stick to the rods' surfaces. As the
bacteria feed, electrons are released and move as electrical current through
the graphite rods into wires outside the liquid container to a cathode, or
positive electrode, constructed of plastic, carbon and platinum.

"When we eat, we oxidize material and we get rid of electrons using oxygen
through the lungs and blood," Logan said. "Bacteria have to put the
electrons somewhere, or they can't continue to eat. So those electrons can
be transferred to the electrode and through the complete electric circuit
we've created."

The result keeps the bacteria hungry and the juice flowing.

Logan and Penn State colleagues Hong Liu and Ramanathan Ramnarayanan
recently published their findings in the online edition of the science
journal *Environmental Science & Technology.*

*Savings Windfall?*

Microbial fuel cells, which harness the power of bacteria, are not a new
phenomenon. Researchers have studied them for years and have used a variety
of liquid solutions, including glucose, acetate, and lactate, to produce
electricity. Scientists have also sought to tap the power of baking yeasts
and even ocean sediment microbes.

But Logan's group aims to generate power directly from an undesirable and
ubiquitous material—untreated wastewater. It's a matter of practical
application.

"We needed to find a way to allow a reactor to operate using water with lots
of particles, not pure lab solutions," Logan said. "As a first feasibility
study, our reactor has proven that it can handle this kind of material."

While early results show promise, consumers shouldn't plan to end their
electric utility service or fill their septic systems in anytime soon. The
Penn State researchers say that while they've slowly increased their
reactor's power output, it still falls far short of an average home's
electric needs.

"Right now the power density is too low. We need more efficiency, meaning
more electrons on electrodes in less area," Logan said.

The researchers say a second hurdle is cost. The average home would not be
able to afford such a reactor even if they were available—at least for now.

"It's not cheap. It's currently not an economically feasible process," Logan
said. "But it's like anything else in the early stages until you figure out
how to make it cost effective. Computers that do less than a pocket
calculator used to cost a million dollars."

Yet the potential is promising enough that the group can think big. "Our
goal is to replace your local [wastewater] treatment plant with a power
plant where you accomplish treatment but also generate electricity," Logan
said.

The cost of treating 33 billion gallons (126 billion liters) of wastewater
in the U.S. alone costs some 25 billion dollars (U.S.) a year. Significant
funds are spent to power the process.

"We spend a lot of our national electricity expenditure on waste treatment.
We could greatly reduce that number while generating additional
electricity," Logan said.

One of the largest expenses incurred while treating wastewater is the
process of adding oxygen to the wastewater, called "activated sludge." The
aeration is necessary to promote biological action that breaks down waste.
The Penn State microbial reactor could greatly reduce this expense because a
key component, by design, receives oxygen directly from air.

It's unclear if the Penn State microbial reactor could be used to treat
sewage in its entirety. But the system has proved comparable to other
anaerobic treatment methods by removing about 80 percent of wastewater's
chemical oxygen demand.

Logan believes the wastewater treatment benefits of his device could someday
be significant.