If its the same application, with the only difference being your JDBC
driver, I would be highly suspicious of that driver, first. Assuming
that your DataSource configuration is identical between the two
applications (other than pointing to different databases & using
different drivers).

I've heard mention of the Oracle 10g driver being quite a bit better
than previous versions ... I don't have any particular experience with
it, but you might want to give that a shot ... whatever the most
recent JDBC driver for Oracle is.

Other than that, you may want to look at some profiling tools. If I
recall correctly, P6Spy can help you there.