After re-reading this sentance in the development guide:

The name "value" is simply a placeholder, you can use another moniker
if you like.

my comment probably wasn't all that relavent. On the flip side,
IBatisNet doesn't adhere to the documentation in this regard.

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/IBATIS/How+do+I+get+around+the+N+Plus+1+selects+problem%3F