From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:20 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Two questions: Q1 - DFHSM CPU usage; Q2 - Tape Allocation

I know that asking two question is bad form. But I'm trying to "save a
message slot". Both questions are about a z/OS 1.4 system.

Q1: DFHSM CPU Utilization
We are having a problem with DFHSM CPU utilization. It seems that no
matter when we schedule PRIMARY SPACE MANAGEMENT, somebody complains.
DFHSM runs as a high priority started task. This is so that recalls are
handled quickly. I admit that I have not gone into the manuals yet. I'm
am very pressed for time due to staff reductions <sorry>. So, is it
possible to have two DFHSM started tasks? One would be high priority for
recalls, the other a lower priority for PRIMARY SPACE MANAGEMENT. I know
very little of DFHSM. If possible, is it "easy" or "a pain"? Thanks.

Q2: Tape Allocation.
We have four banks of 3490E tape drives. Each bank contains 8 drives.
Each bank is attached to two CHPs which are dedicated to that bank of
drives. I have been told that the "low address" tape drives appear to be
allocated in preference to the "high address" tape drives. I cannot
guarantee that the operators are not "messing around" using a VARY, but
I have been told that they are not. Also I haven't seen any VARY command
in the SYSLOG. So I assume that I am being told the truth. In the past,
there was a SELTAPE parameter which disappeared long ago. Does this
reuse of "low addressed" tape drives sound like what is supposed to be
happening? If so, how to do tell z/OS to "spread the I/O" around? I used
to have SELTAPE=NEXT. Again, due to other demands on my time, I have not
had a chance to double check that I'm being told the truth. But the guy
who is telling me this is a "reputable source" as the news-droids say.

Thanks. Oh - will z/OS 1.6 make any difference? We are supposed to go to
it something 3rd Q.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.