Respectfully, I must disagree.  The introduction of REXX was independent
of MVS introducing releases.  TSO V2 introduced REXX to the MVS world.
It did have a prerequisite of XA, not ESA.  When I went to work as a
contractor at a large azure, software/hardware manufacturer in 1990,
their MVS/XA systems had TSO V2 and I promptly proceeded to stun them by
putting some functions out under TSO that I had written in VM.  They
knew REXX was there but had not even tried to use it yet - they were all
still writing CLISTs.

Jim Horne
Lowe's Companies, Inc.