Here is a much more precise answer to the question.  Thanks to Nick Carbone
in the C group for the response.
z/OS is sitting at the XPG 4.2 branding level achieved back in MVS 5.2.2.
You mention UNIX 95.  I suppose that could be considered equiavalent to XPG
4.2.  Since then, we have implemented some UNIX 98 (XPG Issue 5), some C99
(ISO/IEC 9899:1999), and some UNIX 03 (XPG Issue 6) functions over the
years.  We are designed for full support of C99 in R7.  We are neither UNIX
98 nor UNIX 03 compliant at this time.

The pertinent feature test macros added since XPG 4.2 are:

_XOPEN_SOURCE 500       exposes some UNIX 98 (automatically turns on the
other feature test macros to bring in XPG 4.2 interfaces)
_ISOC99_SOURCE          exposes some C99 (does not automatically turn on
any other feature test macro)
_UNIX03_SOURCE          exposes some UNIX 03 (which includes IEEE POSIX
1003.1:2001) (does not turn on any other feature test macro)

The C/C++ Run-Time Library Reference should indicate the level of standards
implemented.  If information there is unclear, incorrect, or otherwise
insufficient, this person can contact me directly and I will take care of
the issues.

Don Ault, 8-295-1750, 845-435-1750