I just took a quick look at one of the affected volumes.  Of 3800 datasets on
the volume, 1600 of them have 0 tracks allocated, and have 44-character
dsnames.  This is a great example of how to fill up a VTOC and VTOCIX before
the volume runs out of space, if the VTOC and VTOCIX were sized based on
assumptions about what kinds of datasets normal people would create.  Maybe I
should put this guy's stuff in a special storage pool with volumes that are 70%
VTOC , 30% VTOCIX, and no usable space.