Alan Schwartz wrote:

We have JES2 exit 6 active on two lpars and have the approval to disable it. This exit, among other things, does a number of svc 26 lookups. We would like to be able to quantify how much cpu utilization is reduced by turning off the exit. Can this be measured?

If you want to know how much CPU time an exit uses, don't remove it! Put a TIMEUSED macro at entry and exit -- and in the case of a JES2 exit, before and after any service call that will enter JES2's "dispatcher". Subtract the start/end values as necessary. Add the difference to an accumulator located in a common location. Dump or otherwise inspect that accumulator from time to time. If you also accumulate the number of times the exit is invoked, you will be able to determine average CPU per invocation.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |