In a message dated 6/22/2005 1:37:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My  recollection is that the 3340, 3344 and 3350 were the first. I'll
have to  see whether I still have my 3330 manuals.

Could well be.  I hesitated on saying 3330.  I think the 3340 and  3344 had 3
SDs and the 3350 had 5.  Too many decades ago to remember  clearly.  They
always seemed to go up by 2 whenever they  increased.  3375/3380/3390s had the
most - 7 SDs.

The way these worked was pretty clever.  The first thing ever  permanently
recorded on a track is the Home Address.  Once skip  displacements were
invented, the SDs were saved in a normally unreadable part of  the Home
Address.  To
read them in or write them back out, you had to use  the Read/Write Special
Home Address CCW.  This read in 27 bytes on the 3375  and 28 on 3380/3390, 14
bytes of which were 7 different 2-byte SDs.  Then  when you wrote R0 after the
HA, the controller copied the 7 SDs that it found in  the HA into an unreadable
part of R0 (a glorified count field, IIRC).  Then  whenever you wrote the
first record after R0, the controller copied the 7 SDs  into an unreadable part
of
this new record.  Thus the same 7 SDs were  propagated into each new record
written on the track, and no matter where you  were on the track when you first
established orientation, the controller would  have all 7 SDs available the
next time it sensed any count field.

Bill Fairchild