I remember the 'go-faster' stripes that Burroughs had to put on the B2700 after
'upgrading ' it from a
B2500. I beleive this was needed to convince the Customer that he had actually
got something for his (quite a lot of) money.
 this upgrade was really little more than a jumper chjange clock speed increase
also.

I also remember that a 600 cards-per-minute 2501-001 card reader could be
upgraded to a 2501-002 (1100 cards-per-minute) by the replacement of a
different sized gear wheel. If you owned ( and maintained) the machine , no-one
could stop you!

I always imagined that IBM's 'Licenced Internal Code' ( not to mentioned
Graduated licnening charges, of course!)
 was a way to protect them from any one else being able to undo a  'Kneecapped'
processor nowadays.

This message and any attachment is intended for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed by the first sender and contains information
which may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you receive this message and any attachment in error, delete it immediately
and notify the sender by email or phone +612 9218 1000 Unless you have been
expressly authorised by the sender, you are prohibited from copying,
distributing or using the information contained in this message and any
attachment

Tabcorp Holdings Ltd(ABN 66 063 780 709)and its related bodies corporate
"Tabcorp" is not responsible for any of the changes made to this message or any
attachment other than those made by Tabcorp, or for the effect of changes made
by others on the meaning of this message and any attachment

Tabcorp does not represent that any attachment is free from computer viruses or
defects and the user assumes all responsibility for any loss or damage
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attachment