In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/23/2005
   at 11:04 AM, Rolf Ernst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>the question is to which lengths COBOL goes to determine which files
>were opened.

No, the question is to what lengths a program should go in an attempt
to work around a broken subroutine; the issue would be the same if the
caller were written in another language.

>Since you indicated the files were opened (and not closed) by a BAL
>subroutine,

No he didn't.

>the COBOL code may not even be aware of it.

Nor should it be.

>It does take a bit of poking around to find the DECBs anyhow.

He doesn't need the (nonexistent for QSAm and VSAM) DECB's; he needs
the ACB's and DCB's, which are presumably already gone.

>However, since you indicate that you are dealing with VSAM files -
>are  the ACBs that the subroutine used around at all?

I doubt that he would have gotten the C03 if they were.