We are considering what the security impact of putting a WAS on mainframe in
the DMZ would be.

It is always frustrating for me when someone posts a question using acronyms assuming that everyone on the list understands them.

I vaguely knew that WAS refers to Websphere but DMZ?

I knew the common usage, DeMilitarized Zone, and I was surprised that search on IBM.COM disclosed that is the exact meaning in this context

"DMZ, which stands for demilitarized zone, is the logical area in a Web application's architecture that separates the "untrusted" Internet from the "trusted" Intranet."

I am sure I have been guilty myself of assuming that everyone understands common abbreviations and acronyms but I do try and remember to explain the less obvious ones.

So considerly yourself gently reminded for the future, explain such things unless they are very common and well-known. When in doubt, do it. Thanks

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR