On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>MIM in the CF performs just as well as GRS*.
>But, I'd rather use the 'free' GRS.
>And, I've had too many problems with a certain ISV.

Perhaps, but MII has been very solid code and bery good support over
the years.  Also more dynamic changes than GRS - especially
in past years.  I've had some issues with MIA (tape) in the
past, but no glearing problems with MII (integrity). No one
ever mentions MIC in these threads.  While sysplex will let
you consolodate your consoles within a sysplex, with MIC you
can issue commands and view console messages that span the
boundries of sysplex.

Most people miss the fact that MIM can run with a control file in
the CF and perform as well as GRS STAR, but many shops that run
MIM do so specifically because it can span sysplexes.  Also,
some recent threads (and past threads) talk about a DASD shared
control file.  While you can do that, the best option is CTCONLY
which uses 2 sets of CTCs (primary + backup) for communications
and has a virtual control file that lives on one of the active
LPARs in the MIMplex. Obviously if you have FCTCs your better
off than with ESCON CTCs. It's not GRS STAR (or MIM in a CF), but
performance is still good.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group