John A Pershing Jr <persh...@alum.mit.edu> writes:
> Lynn clearly meant to say "one of the internal networks": specifically,
> VNET which mostly connected the various VM systems.  There were several
> other internal networks (e.g., HONE) which were all SNA-based.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009l.html#13 SNA: conflicting opinions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009l.html#15 SNA: conflicting opinions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009l.html#17 SNA: conflicting opinions

or maybe the "internal network" was a reference to a "computer
network" ... as opposed to "terminal network". misc. past posts
mentioning "internal network".
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

there was CCDN, which was a corporate terminal front-end ... that
allowed branch office (and other) terminals to interconnect to a number
of internal online services. HONE had a front-end CCDN box ... but there
a number of other online services that also had CCDN front-end terminal
connectivity ... like RETAIN (CCDN provided the terminal networking
overlaying the SNA terminal communication).

HONE started out as some number of internal virtual machine cp67
datacenters that would provide the ability for SEs in the branch office
to play with operating systems. This was after then 23jun69 unbundling
announcement ... which included starting to charge for SE time ... which
shutoff one of the major avenue for branch office skill maintenance
("hands-on" at customer location). When initial 370 was announced
(before virtual memory announcement), there were a few new instructions.
HONE CP67 systems got add-ons that simulated the new instructions so
"370" operating systems could be run in cp67 virtual machines (on
360/67).

The science center had also done port of apl\360 to cp67/cms for
cms\apl. HONE started deploying some number of APL-based sales &
marketing support applications. Eventually the sales & marketing support
came to dominate all HONE use and the virtual machine for SEs activity
withered away.

One of my hobbies during the 70s and part of the 80s was providing HONE
with highly customized operating system kernels (periodically dropping by
and resolving problems/bugs, etc). misc.  past posts mentioning HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone
misc. old email mentioning HONE (also some referencing HONE on VNET
computer network ... as opposed to terminal network)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#hone

in the mid-70s the US HONE datacenters were consolidated in single
location ... and the HONE vm370 got a lot of enhancements for
single-system-image ... a large collection of (eventually
multiprocessor) machines sharing a common large disk farm.

The science center had done a lot of activity on performance tuning,
workload profiling, performance simulation (eventually evolving into
capacity planning). One of these was made available on HONE as the
"performance predictor" ... branch office could characterize customer
(mainframe) configuration & workload ... and then ask what-if questions
regarding changes to hardware or workload. misc. past posts mentioning
science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

In any case, a modified version of the "performance predictor" was
created that monitored workload & availability of individual systems and
interacted with local CCDN terminal front-end ... to route incoming
terminal sessions to specific system (providing workload balancing and
availability).

for the fun of it ... somebody in YKT had done a "virtual terminal"
enhancement to vm370 ... which allowed a virtual machine process that
created virtual 3270s ... that could simulated on the local machine or
carried over communication lines to other machines. This was released as
product called PVM. RLSS provided a gateway into CCDN.

there was an internal CMS application that could make use of virtual
terminal interface ... which also included a HLLAPI-like language (well
before PC and PC-based terminal emulation). In any case, it was then
possible to write scripts that went into RETAIN to retrieve PUT bucket
info.  old post with bits & pieces of PARASITE & STORY
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#35
old post with a RETAIN "story" (i.e. script to to connect thru various
internal terminal communication systems, login in to RETAIN, retrieve
information, log-off, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#36

at the time of APPN announce ... both the person responsible for APPN
and I reported directly to the same executive (this was after Andy went
to AWD, prior to that I was direct report to Andy).  from long ago and
far away (after having moved to AWD) ...