On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:36:47 -0600, BOB COSBY <bob.co...@nfc.usda.gov> wrote:

>Google is not very helpful.
>
>1. What is the Mps to Ghz conversion for our mainframe - i.e. we have a
>2094-S08 505 processor for mainframe applications that has 1,721 MIPS.
>
>2.       How many virtual Linux servers would a zO8 IFL support with a
>Quad(4)/Quad(4)/2.4 Ghz configuration?

"It depends".  You might get more value on LINUX390-L at Marist.

Basically it depends on the utilisation of the x86 servers, plus fudge
factors that relate to the kind of work they're running.  If the figures are
low, in the 5-10% range, you could get a dozen or several.

The good thing is that the IFL will run at full speed on the z9, not the
"slow" speed of the 4xx-6xx models.

Good Luck!

cheers
Peter