I think the Lrecl80 came from the punch card days.  The people I worked with
back in 1980 preferred the 80 byte record because they came from punch cards.

That plus the ease of seeing everything on one screen without having to scroll
back and forth was great.  But those days were more due to the limits of the
terminals.  I do not recall when we were able to go from the 24x80 screen to
mod3/mod4/mod5.  But that would be one reason many prefer the Lrecl80.

With the advances of screen szie (162x??) you could see more at one time than
before.

I really do not think it was ever a standard, just a preference.  IBM would
ship some products clists (like DB2's) in both formats and you could choose
which one you liked to use.

My preference is still 80 byte, but I can always adapt to 255.

Lizette