-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Andreas F. Geissbuehler
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:52 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [turnkey-mvs] turnkey mvs and cobol/jcl environment

<SNIP>
I second Jo on this and URGE YOU to continue with herc
and MVS 3.8j, even Assembler 370, but forget COBOL.

You need to master current, modern COBOL which you can
accomplish short-term by visiting Prof. Don Higgin's website
at www.z390.org. Don's Java-based zASM and zCOBOL at
www.zcobol.org are modern, state-of-the-art implementation
which I recomend you should evaluate and consider to use,
instead of, in addition to and/or in combination with TK3.

<SNIP>

Assuming he is running a M/S product, he can probably get one of the
COBOL books with a COBOL CD in it. Fujitsu's COBOL runs nicely on NT,
and W2K (with a few tweeks). I haven't tried it under XP.

The use of the FCOBOL under MVS3.8 or the equivalent under DOS (R34?),
will teach COBOL basics.

The PC based compilers will take that source (at least the Fujitsu one
will) and produce working code under Winders.

So the question is, where did OS/2 and a M/F compatible COBOL go? Why do
people use Realia (do they still exist?) to do COBOL development on a PC
and then upload the source to a M/F? [Same for the Fujitsu system.]

It is because of IBM Marketing's view of the world.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those held by
poster's employer --