I discovered this interesting article on distributed servers from the zjournal magazine:

   http://zjournal.com/index.cfm?section=article&aid=1218

I'm not sure if you have to register to read it.

A short quote from the article:

"Scale-out distributed servers are like the crack-cocaine of the IT systems business- highly addictive and extremely damaging. Once an enterprise gets hooked on this potent drug, it has proven extremely hard to wean the corporate addicts off! Despite the devastating consequences, they reached for their next x86/x64 and UNIX scale-out server fix for every new workload that arose"

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434