I've just started some investigative reading but thought I'd toss the
question out to the knowledge bearers in case someone's already
contemplated/discarded the idea.  Directions for better (finer? *grin*)
manuals to start at are also helpful.

I've been storage managing all DB2 regions except production for 2-3
years now with happy response from the DBA group.  The delaying factor
for production is the idea of Table/IndexSpace placement for performance
reasons - primarily caused by UCB contention.  We'd be considered a
small shop by most with only 300 3390-3 volumes in the entire MonoPlex.
(No PAV; rejected moons ago for cost)  Production DB2 has 55 volumes
assigned and 70 for all the others.

The obvious method would be the use of Guaranteed Space but, to avoid
the manual work required, I'm wondering about the MSR attributes for
StorClas.  The idea - good or bad - is that, by adding the performance
attributes to the class and as the re-orgs progress, the heavily used
datasets would end up by themselves since their volume would be less
preferred by virtue of lower (relative to the rest of the pool)
performance rates.  Alternatively, when a heavy hitter is re-orged, a
better volume would be selected that would likely not contain another
heavyweight.  The belief is that the system would slowly spread the
datasets around to harmonize the performance rates over the entire pool
without the need for manual intervention.  Poor/mis-guided thinking?
Discussion?  (Some of the heavy hitters have already been partitioned to
spread the problem around.)

Another possible hitch in the process is my use of 1-2 Quiesced,New
volumes in each pool combined with a Quiesced StorGrp for overflow.  I
don't believe that's a problem since SMS Status has a preferred value of
512 vs. 1 & 2 for MSR.

Tks for all your time & considered opinions.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004