On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:30:38 -0500, Darth Keller <darth.kel...@assurant.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone asked why the original poster has 2 SMSPlexes?  His cleanest
>solution might be to merge the 2.

Good point.

>Sounds like he has at least some shared DASD - in a previous incarnation,
>we had a similar situation and I did NOT want 2 SMSPlexes controlling
>volumes.  So I 'merged' the code - basically I took the 2 pieces of code &
>surrounded them with checks for the SysID.  If (SYSID1 or SYSID3), then
>fall into this code segment, if not fall into the 2nd piece.

Exactly what I have seen done in several shops I've been at.  Including
here in the late 90s (I was consulting at the time) when systems were
being price-plexed together.

>Then I moved all the construct definitions into the same SCDS - the only
>issue I had was there were a couple of constructs with the same name on
>both sides.  I resolved that by merging the constructs and using what ever
>criteria gave the most service, i.e. - if the MgmtClas on 1 side said
>migrate after 7 days and on the other side said 15 days, I gave the
>'merged' MgmtClas 15 days.  StorGrps with the same name, I just renamed
>one.  The StorGrps were still owned & managed by the original LPAR.
>
>I put the shared COMMDS & CDS's on shared DASD.  We use GRS.
>
>There were a few steps ahead of SMS, like I merged the catalog
>environments - my choice, I think I could have gotten SMS to work anyway.
>Since then I've re-written the code so that we truly have 1 SMSPlex.

Again, very similar to what was done here over there years (a lot of it
done after my consulting gig ended and before my return years later).

Unfortunately we still have this kludge with our SAP SMSplex which is
one system from a production sysplex and one from a development
sysplex, which leaves 3 SMSplexes within 2 sysplexes.  With one system
in each sysplex, there isn't a good answer for merging that SMSplex.
The SAP development LPAR is very stable since pretty much all it runs
is DB2 (back end on z/OS, app on AIX) - so if I had to merge it, I would
put the SAP development LPAR in the production sysplex and then that
SMSplex could be merged and SMSplex would = SYSPLEX.  Sometimes
political barriers are greater than technical ones.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com