On 5 Oct 2009 06:45:17 -0700, ma...@resa.net (Warner Mach) wrote:

>It occurs to me that there is one aspect of the downsize mentality
>that has not been discussed, and that is the "500
>pound gorilla" aspect ... When there is an economic crunch
>and management looks around for where to cut they can
>not help but notice the 500 pound gorilla in the room.
>So, notwithstanding the technical aspects and the
>financial aspects; notwithstanding "return on investment"
>and "total cost of ownership," there is that gorilla.

I don't think so - as much as management would like to get rid of the
mainframe, they know that change is expensive.    The budget to
replace everything is huge in the short term, and the short term is
very important to them.

When good times return, is when they are more likely to be fooled into
spending lots in the short term expecting to save money in the long
term (when it's someone else's problem when it doesn't work).